At RVU, we have the best of both worlds: the excitement of a start-up and the strength of well-established, trusted household names.
- uSwitch is the UK’s top comparison website for home services switching helping consumers save money on their gas, electricity, broadband, TV and phone.
- Money is one of the UK’s leading comparison websites for financial services. Consumers can compare loans, credit cards, bank accounts and insurance from more than 600 provider
- Bankrate is changing the mortgage market. We create innovative and personalised products that help you make smarter decisions. We want to empower you to find a house and get a mortgage without talking to an agent or broker.
Together, we are RVU. Together, we have the power to reach consumers across the UK, and the technology to give them a world class online experience.
We believe in being great people to work with: we are very passionate about our own work, but we think that it’s important to make time to help others with their work - so that the entire team gets better every day. We are entrepreneurial - we believe in challenging the status quo and solving problems our users will face tomorrow. Perhaps most of all, we are inclusive: no matter who we are, where we come from, or which project we work on, we are one team with one dream: improving the lives of our users through awesome experiences.
We’re looking for more people to join our platform team to help grow and improve our shared infrastructure platform.
Our goal as a team is to help our services deliver value quickly, securely and robustly.
We do this by running multiple Kubernetes clusters in AWS, creating common tooling to aid in development tasks and running shared services such as Elasticsearch, Vault and Prometheus.
Day to day tasks will include:
- Planning and working on our common infrastructure
- Working with teams to design, build and improve systems
- Helping migrate existing teams onto our common infrastructure
- Debugging issues across applications and levels of the stack
- Developing tooling to help our teams work better
Examples of some projects we have recently worked on:
- Short lived database credentials
Our running services previously relied on having long lived credentials to access data that were rarely, if ever, rotated. We wanted human and pod identity to be used to grant short-lived credentials based on policies. We used Vault to build a solution to this problem, creating tooling such as vault-creds/vault-webhook to make it as easy as possible for developers to use these credentials with their services. (Blog)
- Kiam: a service that integrates AWS IAM with Kubernetes
We have a lot of existing AWS resource that have their access limited using IAM. We used Kube2IAM initially but experienced race conditions that would hand different role credentials to pods. We started work on a replacement and have worked with community to get it used in other places. Kube-Aws are now incorporating it into their deployment.
- Yggdrasil: Envoy control plane for multi-cluster load balancing
For some of our more important applications it was important to have them survive a total cluster outage. This meant we needed a way to easily route traffic to an application spread out across multiple clusters, so we created Yggdrasil, a tool to configure Envoy nodes to route our traffic between clusters based off Ingress resources. (Blog)
You can also check out our medium page to see a number of blogs on what we’ve been up to.
We are not expecting people to be experts in all of these areas, but we are interested in people who:
- Care about the needs of the users of the infrastructure
- Enjoy investigating and solving complex issues
- Have worked with Kubernetes
- Can write code (we mainly use Go and Ruby)
- Like to design and assess systems
- Understand the underpinnings of GNU/Linux
What we’ll give back to you:
We want to give you a great work environment; contribute back to both your personal and professional development; and give you great benefits to make your time at uSwitch even more enjoyable. Some of these benefits include:
- A competitive salary and bonus package
- A healthy learning and training budget, as well as the chance to go to conferences around the world every year
- The latest equipment - be it a Linux or Apple or Windows machine
- Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
- Paid parental leave for those key moments in your life
- We have lots of other great benefits within the business, these are just a few of them
- Health insurance
- Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
- In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
- Flexi holiday policy
- Bike to work scheme
- Season ticket loans for those long commutes
- Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
- 1 month full paid paternity leave to spend more time with the kids
- We also want to help you with your life events, so offer interest free loans for special moments in your life like moving home, buying your first home and your wedding